The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: Ja Baij Shrine Guide
The Ja Baij Shrine, or the Bomb Trial, is one of the first Shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. This shrine is one of four that Link must complete before leaving the Great Plateau region.
This shrine is also Link’s introduction to Remote Bomb, a useful Rune ability that can create cube or spherical-shaped bombs that can be activated remotely through the Sheikah Slate or by firing a projectile at them. These bombs can damage objects and enemies. The Remote Bomb ability will be used to complete the shrine throughout the game.
After completing Shrines, Link will receive Spirit Orbs, which can be exchanged for more Heart Containers or Stamina Vessels. There are 120 Shrines all over Hyrule, which means Link can get 120 Spirit Orbs.
The Ja Baij Shrine is located east of the Great Plateau region. This is the second closest Shrine to the Great Plateau Tower (Ja Baij Shrine is south of the Great Plateau Tower). Watch out for Decayed Guardians in the area on your way to the Ja Baij Shrine as, although they are stationary, they are potent enemies that can be hard to kill, especially this early in the game. You do not have to kill the Decayed Guardians, and you can sneak past them using the walls and ruins in the area to get to Ja Baij Shrine.
The Bomb Trial
To complete this Shrine, this is what Link must do:
- Upon entering Ja Baij Shrine, interact with the terminal to obtain the Remote Bomb Rune ability.
- Two cracked stones block the pathway. Hold down the up directional button, select the cube-shaped Remote Bomb, and press L once to create the bomb. Then, press A to drop (or R to throw) the bomb by the two cracked stones. Press L again to detonate the bomb from a distance (as the blast can damage Link) to destroy the cracked stones.
- As Link proceeds in the pathway, there will be two paths, the left and the right, blocked by two cracked stones. Proceed to the left path first. Two more cracked stones will be left. Detonate a Remote Bomb (preferably cube-shaped so it will not roll away) on the cracked stones to reveal a chest and obtain a Traveler’s Claymore.
- Then, go back and proceed to the path on the right and detonate a bomb on the two cracked stones.
- After climbing a ladder, you can see a wall of cracked stones and a moving platform. Prepare a cube-shaped Remote Bomb and wait for the platform to get near Link. Then, get on the platform and drop the bomb on the platform’s edge closest to the wall. After that, get off the platform, wait for it next to the cracked stone wall, and detonate it. To proceed, jump on the platform again to get to the other side.
- After that, you will see an area with a bunch of launchers. Get on and stand on the launcher on the left-most part of the area to be launched to a platform with a chest to obtain an Amber.
- Hold down the up directional button again on the rightmost launcher, select the spherical-shaped bomb (so it will roll down), and drop it on the hole that leads to the launcher. Then, wait for the bomb to land on a bunch of cracked stones blocking a ladder. Detonate the bomb and proceed up said ladder.
- Go to the altar and talk to the monk to receive your Spirit Orb.
After completing the Ja Baij Shrine, proceed to the Oman Au Shrine or the Magnesis Trial to obtain the Magnesis ability, the Owa Daim Shrine or the Stasis Trial to obtain the Stasis Rune ability, and the Keh Namut Shrine or the Cryonis Trial to obtain, you guessed it, the Cryonis Rune ability. After all these shrines, Link can finally leave the Great Plateau region and explore the rest of Hyrule.